Indulge in the irresistible delight of perfectly crispy homemade fries with this foolproof recipe. Learn the chef’s secret technique of double-cooking, transforming ordinary potatoes into golden, tender delights with a satisfying crunch. Discover the choice of oils, the magic of vinegar, and essential tips for achieving that restaurant-quality crispiness in every bite. Elevate your fry game and treat yourself to a side dish that rivals your favorite fast-food joint.
|Peanut oil (or light vegetable oil)
|Sufficient for frying
|Garlic cloves (optional)
- Prepare Potatoes:
- Clean and wash the potatoes.
- Cut them carefully into medium-sized slices, no thicker than one centimeter, using a mandoline or a sharp knife.
- Place the potato sticks in a bowl of cold water for 20 minutes to remove excess starch. Pat them dry with a clean towel.
- First Cooking Phase:
- Heat a generous layer of oil in a pan.
- Add the potato sticks and fry for about 5 minutes until golden brown. Optionally, add a few cloves of garlic for extra flavor.
- Remove the fries from the pan and place them on kitchen paper to absorb excess oil. Let them cool.
- Second Cooking Phase:
- Heat the oil again to very hot.
- Dip the cooled fries back into the hot oil for a few minutes, watching for a well-measured gilding. Be careful not to let them darken.
- Remove and place them on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Choosing the Right Oil:
- Peanut oil or any light vegetable oil is ideal for achieving a crispy crust. Peanut oil is preferred due to its high smoke point.
- Adding Vinegar for Crispiness:
- Peel and wash the potatoes in cold water.
- Cut the potatoes into wavy slices, maintaining a crispy shape.
- Soak the sticks in a bowl with cold water and three tablespoons of white vinegar.
- Dry them and briefly place them in boiling water for 1 minute to remove excess starch.
- Rinse under cold water, then place them in a bowl of ice water. Dry with paper towels before frying.
- Frying for Crispiness:
- Heat peanut oil or sunflower oil in a frying pan over high heat.
- Gradually add the potatoes and follow the cooking method described above for the crispiest result.
Enjoy your incredibly crispy and mouth-watering homemade fries!